Ruinart, the first established Champagne House, founded in 1729, has been shipping rosé champagne since 1764.
The Maison’s account book is the proof. On 14 March 1764, it is written that there was a shipment of “a basket of 120 bottles, 60 bottles of which were Oeil de Perdrix”.
The term “Oeil de Perdrix” means a colour which could be described as a delicate pink with coppery reflections.
At the beginning of the 19th century, François-Irénée Ruinart, the grandson of the founder, presents rosé champagne as a precious wine offered by the House to the greatest connoisseurs amongst its clients.
In the account book, it is possible to find traces of purchases by the ruling elite or other grand families in the European aristocracy. This wave of success began in Germany and followed in Austria, Netherlands and Poland. In the years that followed, shipments left for Denmark and the Czech Republic (1765), Italy (1767), Sweden (1768), the United Kingdom (1775), Switzerland (1795), Belgium, Luxembourg and Ireland (1814) and even Ukraine (1838).
Ruinart Rosé, the result of 250 years’ of research and perfectionism.